Staff Physician - 23425860
Wexford Health Sources, the nation's leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue. This is for a Full-time, 40 hours per week, Site Physician at Menard Correctional Center in Menard, IL.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Medical Malpractice insurance
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Under administrative and clinical supervision of the facility Medical Director, the physician practices medicine at specified Wexford medical practice site(s) promoting and providing high-quality medical care. He/she practices in a manner consistent with their clinical privileges as identified and approved during the Credentials process. Works collegially and cooperatively with the site medical director, other physicians, physician extenders ([link removed], physician assistants, nurse practitioners, etc.), dentists, psychiatrists, psychologists, and any other medical professionals working within the medical facilities at their site. Actively participates in discussions regarding the resolution of problems related to quality of care, patient safety issues and patient complaints/grievances arising at their site. Responsible for maintaining utilization management and clinical practice standards through the application of the organization’s clinical criteria. Participates in the development of medical/clinical policies and case consultation to clinical staff when asked. Maintains the highest level of medical quality and service at their Wexford site and represents organization clinical philosophy to patients, providers, facility personnel, and the community.
The Site Physician practices medicine in order to promote the highest quality in medical care and services. They are responsible for reviewing and understanding all health care provided by Wexford Health Sources and delivered at their site.
The Wexford Site Physician will participate in clinical program development, quality management, utilization management and staff education in a manner consistent with the corporate objectives and philosophy of Wexford Health Sources. They are responsible for helping to maintain the highest level of medical quality and service at their site.
- Works closely with and maintains good relationships with the Site Medical Director, the Regional Manager, the site Health Care Administrator and the state and county medical authority.
- Effectively communicates with the Site Medical Director and site clinical and administrative staff.
- Keeps the Site Medical Director informed of issues in a timely manner, including the submission of requested reports.
- Actively participates in Wexford Health site meetings/committees when requested.
- Actively promotes medical quality and patient/inmate safety.
- Participates in the interviewing of qualified medical and clinical staff as requested.
- Helps in the development of subordinate staff including: maintaining consistent communication with staff, and meeting clinical education needs of the staff.
- Implements and administers Wexford Health, state, and county policies and procedures consistently. Ensures site compliance with all policies/procedures and recommends updates as necessary to meet local, legal, and accreditation requirements.
- Maintain the confidentiality of inmate records.
- Approach change in a positive manner.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical Director, Regional Administrator and Healthcare Unit Administrator.
- Accept constructive criticism in stressful situations.
- Assists in the orientation of new employees as requested or assigned.
- Accepts other duties as assigned by the Site Medical Director and Regional Medical Director.
- Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
- Dress code
- Schedule/time sheet/time clock
- Safety and security regulations
- Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
- Actively participates in the evaluation and monitoring of chronic illness programs.
- Ensures that the operation of the on-site infirmary at their site is in compliance with national standards (ACA and NCCHC) and that the scope of care provided is appropriate for the staffing and resources available.
- Ensures that established sick call processes ensure patient access to medically necessary services.
- Ensures that established suicide prevention programs are implemented to identify, refer, and treat patients who are at risk for suicide.
- Returns pages and calls promptly and in a time efficient manner respecting the emergent and urgent needs of the facility.
- Actively participates in Wexford Health/Facility Quality Management Committees as requested.
- Participates in reviews applicable federal, state and local laws, and standards of conduct, as well as other policies and procedures from national accreditation standards ([link removed], ACA, NCCHC, etc.) in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Actively participates in all Utilization Management (UM) efforts at their site.
- Works closely with the Corporate UM Medical Director when requested.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only; full job description available, employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Must have a current license in the state of Illinois
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of clinical experience preferred.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited medical school
- Must be Board Eligible or Certified in Internal, Family or Emergency Medicine