GERIATRICIAN/GERIATRICS HOSPITALIST-EDUCATOR & INTERNAL MEDICINE SITE DIRECTOR
EDITH NOURSE ROGERS MEMORIAL VETERANS HOSPITAL (BEDFORD VA HOSPITAL)
VA NEW ENGLAND HEALTHCARE SYSTEM – BEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS
You are invited to consider applying for the position of Geriatrician/Geriatrics Hospitalist-Educator, which is located in the Geriatrics and Extended Care (GEC) service and Medicine Education service of the Bedford VA Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, which has the largest long-term care facility in the VA system.
As Geriatrician/Geriatrics Hospitalist-Educator for the Community Living Center and Geriatric Evaluation Management unit, you’ll be part of an interprofessional approach and collaborate with the Primary Care, Mental Health, and Home Based Primary Care services, and have responsibility for the care of Veterans in a broad based geriatric program. You will have a range of clinical responsibilities that include subacute, rehabilitation, long-term, dementia, hospice and geropsychiatric care. We are actively expanding the depth and breadth of its graduate medical education training programs and you can expect to spend up to 25% of your time working with the Chief of Staff training trainees. Your key functions include providing medical diagnoses, work ups and treatments within the scope of knowledge, privileges and patient needs and, your duties will include but are not be limited to:
providing medical diagnoses, work ups and treatments
transferring patients to acute level of hospital care, Psychiatry or Extended Care, or to other medical centers, as appropriate
completing minor procedures to include incisions and drainage, debridement, suturing, and ear/eye irrigation
providing Medical Officer of the Day (MOD) and medical on-call coverage as assigned
making provisions for, and coordinating care of dying patients, including but not limited to, advance preferences, management of pain, bereavement counseling and management of physical problems
collaborating with Associate Chief of Staff GEC in performance improvement activities
directing teaching and facilitation of trainees’ educational and scholarly activities
Preferred experience includes a minimum of two years in related clinical geriatric care. Preference will be given to candidates who are board certified or board eligible in Geriatric Medicine and those who are BC/BE in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine are welcome to apply.
The hospital campus is situated on beautiful wooded campus and adjacent to a golf course. Bedford is located in the cradle of the nation, with Concord, Lexington, and Boston close by. If you’d like to enjoy the benefits of living in an area rich in culture, recreational and entertainment amenities, in coastal New England while caring for our veterans, and you’d like more information about filling one or both of these roles, Email your full CV to Don Rainwater, National Healthcare Recruitment Consultant for the VA New England Healthcare System to (register or log in to show contact information). Your inquiry will be handled in confidence.
The benefits are many when working as a VA physician and some of them include:
Paid Time Off:
- 208 Hours paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 104 Hours paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Paid federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2016, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service
Free & Unrestricted License (any state)
Job Posted: 05/15/18
RE: MDJobSite.com Job
421 North Main Street
Leeds MA 01053